Bishop's Palace

Nicolau Nasoni / Miguel Francisco da Silva



José Miguel Rodrigues


Visita ao espaço comentada pelo autor do projecto de arquitectura ou por um especialista convidado.


Sat 10h30, Architect José Quintão and Dr. Manuel Joaquim Rocha / Sat 15h, Dra. Francisca Antunes Guimarães

Maximum 22 people per visit

Reservation required

No wheelchair access

Photography allowed


Book on Eventbrite

Reservations available from JUNE 26 at 2pm in this website


This is the house of Porto’s bishop built in the baroque period in the place of the old medieval Episcopal palace. With an initial project by Nicolau Nasoni, it started being built during the 18th century, from 1737, under the guidance of architect Miguel Francisco da Silva, until reaching its current state. In the 19th century, the building was no longer inhabited by the bishop of Porto and stayed abandoned until 1916, when it started functioning as the city hall until 1956. During this period, a significant part of its belongings were lost, namely, interior elements of the chapel. Within the city’s skyline, its relevance maintained itself unshaken: a powerful white cube in the granite landscape. As Siza Vieira says, “that building needs a big statement (…). The answer is undoubtedly exceptional. (…) No one is going to criticize the bishop’s palace, in the centre of the city, for being an immense mass that has nothing to do with the surrounding houses.”


Terreiro da Sé


Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Subway: Linha D - São Bento

Bus: STCP - 904, 905

Train: São Bento