Serra do Pilar Monastery

Diogo de Castilho e João Ruão / Maria João Marques e Paulo Freitas

1537 / 2012

Saturday + Sunday

Casa da Arquitectura

Open Visits

Visita ao espaço sem acompanhamento, dentro do horário estipulado.

Building with partial access to people with reduced mobility


Visita ao espaço comentada pelo autor do projecto de arquitectura ou por um especialista convidado.


Sat 17h00, Architects Paulo Freitas e Maria João Marques / Sun 15h00, Márcia Santos > These visits require RESERVATION, in the link below;


The Great Race of Architecture →

Maximum 25 people per visit

Reservation required

Wheelchair access

Photography allowed

Reservations Sold Out

Book on Eventbrite

Reservations available from JUNE 26 at 2pm in this website


Male monastery of the Order of Santo Agostinho that started being built in 1537. It stands out from a morphologic point of view, for its church and cloister, both with a circular plan. The cloister with a domed surrounding gallery is sustained by ionic columns carved in the difficult granite stone that builds the city. Whether it’s the circular interior of the church, with a dome on top, or whether it is the exterior also circular of the cloister, open to the sky, (both with the same dimension on the plan) create a sort of allegory of a world apart, closed in itself, a space of inner thought, introspection and silence. Two wings compose the rest of the monastery in particular the north sleeping quarters, with a rhythmic and repetitive façade only interrupted now and then by volumes that mark vertically the dominant horizontal of the building that overlooks the river and the city.


Largo de Aviz


Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Subway: Linha D - Jardim do Morro

Bus: STCP - 900, 901, 904, 905, 906 / Espírito Santo - 12, 14, 15, 17, 31, 39

Train: General Torres